Man accused of shoplifting, injuring officers during pursuit held on $250K bondPosted: Updated:
The Stamford man accused of shoplifting and leading police on a chase that injured seven officers had his bond set at $250,000 during a court appearance Tuesday.
Jorge Duche, 29, is facing a slew of charges, including robbery, assault and engaging police in pursuit.
Police say Duche shoplifted a pair of slippers Friday at Lord and Taylor. Security then notified a sergeant on patrol nearby. Police say Duche fought with a sergeant who tried to arrest him. The sergeant fell backward and broke his ankle.
Police say Duche then took off in a car. When officers tried to pull him over, police say a chase began. According to police, Duche rammed into two cruisers head-on.
"Things went from simple to bad really quickly," says Capt. Diedrich Hohn.
They say he then fought with officers before he was eventually taken into custody.
Seven officers were hurt, sustaining broken bones, neck and back injuries. Five of those officers have not yet returned to the force.
"It's pretty silly that a pair of slippers from shoplifting turns into a robbery and it goes downhill from there," says Capt. Hohn.
Duche was treated at a hospital and released. He appeared in court in a wheelchair and with a cast on his arm.
A judge told him Tuesday that this was a “major event” and held him on $250,000 bond.
Officials say this isn't the first time he shoplifted in Stamford, and that he's also committed crimes in other cities. Prosecutors say Duche also had a suspended license.
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Police in Stamford say two months of investigation led them to a major drug bust over the weekend and a dealer with a wide ranging inventory.
- The state's gymnastics community is mourning the loss of a young woman from Milford who died after a training accident.
Calling all pet parents! Do you think your fur baby is the cutest around? Send us your photos for a chance to be included in our Cutest Pets Contest! Submit your pet by Nov. 13 at noon.
- The season's first snow and some bitter cold are on tap in back-to-back days across western Connecticut this week.
- Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter has been admitted to Emory University Hospital for a procedure to relieve pressure on his brain, caused by bleeding due to his recent falls.
- Police say a man busted through the glass and got into Station House Coffee Shop at the Stratford train station early Thursday morning.Police say a man busted through the glass and got into Station House Coffee Shop at the Stratford train station early Thursday morning.
- Bridgeport police are investigating a shooting that left a bouncer wounded with a gunshot to the abdomen.Bridgeport police are investigating a shooting that left a bouncer wounded with a gunshot to the abdomen.
- A body was found in Woodbridge Saturday night.A body was found in Woodbridge Saturday night.
- A mother claims her daughter was sexually assaulted at a friend's house Saturday by a stranger.A mother claims her daughter was sexually assaulted at a friend's house Saturday by a stranger.
- The tree will be decked out in more than 50,000 multicolored lights and crowned with its iconic star.
- Stars hit the red carpet for the world premiere of "Frozen 2" at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles.Stars hit the red carpet for the world premiere of "Frozen 2" at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles.
- Styx at NYCB at WestburyStyx at NYCB at Westbury
- Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Palace Theatre in Stamford.Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Palace Theatre in Stamford.
- Here's the 2019 concert lineup for the College Street Music Hall in New Haven.Here's the 2019 concert lineup for the College Street Music Hall in New Haven.