Connecticut joins multistate suit to challenge national emergency declaration

Posted: Updated:
NORWALK -

Connecticut's state attorney general announced a decision to join a multistate lawsuit challenging President Donald Trump's declaration of a national emergency to fund a border wall.

The lawsuit was expected after the president announced Friday he would declare a national emergency and use money from other sources to build the wall.

The suit argues that Congress alone has the authority to allocate tax dollars. Connecticut Attorney General William Tong says what the president is trying to do is unconstitutional and unlawful.

"This state and the people that live in it feel like we are under tremendous pressure from this president and that our civil rights are being impacted," says Tong.

President Trump says he has the "absolute right" to declare a national emergency.

Tong says some of the money targeted by the president had been earmarked for Connecticut, including Air National Guard projects at Bradley Airport.

"We feel very strongly that we are going to prevail and we ask the court for an injunction in declaratory judgement stopping this president from blowing past Congress and shredding our constitution," says Tong.

News 12 spoke with J.R. Romano, chairman of the Connecticut Republican Party, about the lawsuit.

Romano released a statement saying, "I question if this is a wise use of tax dollars considering the billions Connecticut is in debt. Attorney General Tong's unwillingness to comment on cost to taxpayers should be a warning sign that this is political posturing not leadership."

Tong is picking up where former Attorney General George Jepsen left off in taking the Trump administration to court. Connecticut is currently a co-plaintiff in several suits fighting other controversial policies involving immigration and the environment.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."