DOT to replace overpass at exit on I-95Posted: Updated:
The DOT and police have announced that the DOT will be replacing the Route 1 overpass at Exit 9 on I-95 this spring.
State police warned drivers in the area to prepare for long delays, slow speeds and a major detour.
The overpass will be torn down and replaced over the first two weekends in June. As a result, the ramps will be reduced to two lanes and to a speed limit of 20 miles per hour. Police say that to speed up the process, construction on the base has already begun.
The new bridge itself is being built off-site.
Route 1 will be reopened in between the weekend construction. Construction is set to begin on Friday, May 31 at 11 p.m. and will continue
through June 3 at 5 a.m.
Police say the same schedule will also be in place for the following Friday through Monday, weather permitting.
They also say there will be an increased police presence in the area and on the Merritt Parkway to control the overflow.
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- A storm brought rain, wind and ponding to Brookfield Monday evening.A storm brought rain, wind and ponding to Brookfield Monday evening.
- A company from Milford is being praised for creating Neil Armstrong's helmet when he took the first steps on the moon.
- Officials in Milford say a suspicious man approached a young girl Friday morning.Officials in Milford say a suspicious man approached a young girl Friday morning.
- An animal cruelty investigation is underway after a dog was hit by two cars last week.An animal cruelty investigation is underway after a dog was hit by two cars last week.
- Norwalk Hospital is open and fully operational today, after an explosion closed an ambulance bay Sunday night.
- Here's the latest concert information for the XFINITY Theatre in Hartford.Here's the latest concert information for the XFINITY Theatre in Hartford.
- Here's the 2019 concert lineup for the College Street Music Hall in New Haven.Here's the 2019 concert lineup for the College Street Music Hall in New Haven.
- When Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin took their first steps on the moon in 1969, the world was watching.
News 12 Connecticut wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedCT.
- Are you looking for some outdoor fun and adventure this summer? Or maybe you're just thinking up some ideas to help the kids cool off in the summer heat? The tri-state area has a handful of water parks that may do the trick.