Flood WARNING in effect for:
Dept. of Health: Flu deaths in state have risen to 29Posted: Updated:
The state Department of Health announced Thursday that the number of flu deaths in the state has risen to 29, and it's only halfway through the flu season.
They say there are always serious concerns anytime there are reports of deaths from the flu, but that on average they are noticing cases - at least in Fairfield County - have not been as severe.
Dr. Sanjeev Rao at Bridgeport Hospital says he believes the flu vaccine could be more effective this year and urges everyone to get a flu shot if they haven't already.
He also says the number of deaths has decreased in comparison to last season, which saw 184 flu-related deaths.
"People are coming in here not complaining as much as previous years. In previous years, they would come in and say 'I've been hit by a truck,"' says Rao.
Dr. Rao says the flu can cause death when mucus gets into your lungs, leading to pneumonia.
Doctors urge anyone who thinks they might have the flu or a bad cold to get it checked out.
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Heavy rain Saturday caused flooding to the north end of Bridgeport.Heavy rain Saturday caused flooding to the north end of Bridgeport.
- Happy Bill of Rights Day! Do you know what the Bill of Rights is?Happy Bill of Rights Day! Do you know what the Bill of Rights is?
- A Bridgeport woman is about to get a wheelchair accessible van for her disabled daughter thanks to some help from News 12 Connecticut and a local nonprofit.
- The Museum for History and Culture in Westport was celebrating the holidays early on Saturday.The Museum for History and Culture in Westport was celebrating the holidays early on Saturday.
- The Merritt Parkway was shut down for several hours Saturday following a truck accident.The Merritt Parkway was shut down for several hours Saturday following a truck accident.
- Red carpet arrivals at The Concert for The Rainforest Fund at the Beacon TheatreThe Rainforest Fund 30th anniversary benefit concert was held Monday at the Beacon Theatre in New York City.
- From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!
- December has already brought some snow to the tri-state area. Here's how the snow looked through your lens.
- The 87th annual Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree lighting ceremony was held Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2019 in New York.
- The Mohegan Sun Arena performer lineup includes live music, entertainment, top headlining concerts and premier sporting events in Connecticut.