'Ethan's Law' would force gun owners to keep unloaded firearms under lock and keyPosted: Updated:
A new gun law being proposed in Hartford would force gun owners to keep their unloaded firearms inside a safe if children live at the home.
Ethan's Law is named for Ethan Song, a teenager from Guilford who fatally shot himself accidentally last year.
Song was playing with a gun owned by his friend's father that was found in a cardboard box with bullets nearby.
Ethan's mother, Kristen Song, says her son would still be alive if Connecticut had tougher gun storage laws.
She came to Hartford Monday to testify for this new legislation.
"The truth is you always know the right thing to do," Song said. "The hard part is doing the right thing."
Chief Jeffrey Hutchinson of the Guilford Police Department says that while firearms may be stored unloaded, they often are next to a box of ammunition. He says it's not very difficult for people to figure out how to load and discharge a gun.
The state's biggest gun rights group, Connecticut Citizens Defense League, supports Ethan's Law with other conditions attached to it.
"I would fully support this bill if it was accompanied by a mandated gun safety curriculum in schools," Walter Kupson said.
State lawmakers are also considering bans on 3-D printed guns and unregistered "ghost guns" assembled from a kit.
In Stamford, Gov. Ned Lamont said he supports both laws that would make it harder to get a gun and use it.
"I can buy a semi-automatic weapon online, have it delivered with almost no questions asked," he said.
Ethan's Law would make it a felony to store a weapon outside a safe. Gun owners could also use a trigger lock.
Power & PoliticsMore>>
- A group of state leaders held a forum in Westport pushing to end religious exemptions for immunizations.A group of state leaders held a forum in Westport pushing to end religious exemptions for immunizations.
- This week on Connecticut Power and Politics, the candidates for Fairfield first selectman go head-to-head in a debate.This week on Connecticut Power and Politics, the candidates for Fairfield first selectman go head-to-head in a debate.
- The U.S. Supreme Court will not take up the case of the contested Stratford state congressional race.The U.S. Supreme Court will not take up the case of the contested Stratford state congressional race.
- Hearings in a lawsuit that seeks to overturn the results of Bridgeport's Democratic mayoral primary continued Wednesday.Hearings in a lawsuit that seeks to overturn the results of Bridgeport's Democratic mayoral primary continued Wednesday.
- Can wind power an economic recovery in Bridgeport?Can wind power an economic recovery in Bridgeport?
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Jose Altuve hit a game-ending homer off Aroldis Chapman with two outs in the ninth inning and the Houston Astros outlasted the New York Yankees 6-4 to advance to the World Series for the second time in three years.
- A Bridgeport family is asking for help paying for the funeral of a woman who was killed in a car crash.
It's a battle for bragging rights! News 12 is looking for the schools with the most school spirit! Is it yours?
- Norwalk police are looking for the man they say threatened to shoot a cab driver.Norwalk police are looking for the man they say threatened to shoot a cab driver.
- Halloween is less than two weeks away but some furry friends got to celebrate a little early.Halloween is less than two weeks away but some furry friends got to celebrate a little early.
- Heavy right and high winds swept through the tri-state area due to a large coast storm on the night of Oct. 16. Here are your photos from the storm.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
News 12 Connecticut wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedCT.
Looking to check out brewery this summer? There are many breweries across the state for beer-lovers to visit.
It's a celebration! Is your or a loved one's birthday coming up? Let us know! Send us your photos and you could end up on air and News12.com!