Remembering Jeremy Richman: Friends, family pay tribute to Sandy Hook dadPosted: Updated:
Friends and family are remembering Sandy Hook father Jeremy Richman, who died by suicide this week.
Neil Heslin and Richman had become friends through tragedy. Heslin tells News 12 that he watched his son Jessie Lewis play with Richman's daughter Avielle on the Sandy Hook playground. The two 6-year-olds had their lives cut short Dec. 14, 2012 in the tragic Sandy Hook Elementary School mass shooting.
Heslin says all the parents became a family after the shooting. He calls Richman one of the brightest men he had ever met and says that Richman had a smile that could illuminate a room.
Richman dedicated much of his life to the Avielle Foundation in honor of his daughter. Donations to the organization go to researching the brain to understand what leads someone to harmful behavior.
"He dedicated his life to making a legacy for his daughter but also trying to prevent these tragedies, and make a better and safer world," says Heslin.
A GoFundMe page has been set up for Richman's family. Richman's wife Jennifer posted yesterday that her husband was a champion and the love of her life, adding that he succumbed to grief that he could not escape.
She also said they will continue to honor him through the foundation's work.
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Authorities say a mother was stabbed by her 15-year-old child in Bridgeport.Authorities say a mother was stabbed by her 15-year-old child in Bridgeport.
- A Bridgeport police officer was placed on administrative leave after being captured on video apparently striking a suspect in the head with a gun.
- Bail was set at $200,000 for a homeless man from West Virginia who was charged with placing two devices that looked like pressure cookers in a New York City subway station.
- Michelle Troconis is scheduled to appear in court Monday in connection to the Jennifer Dulos disappearance case.
- Fire crews pulled a man out of Lake Mohegan in Fairfield Sunday.Fire crews pulled a man out of Lake Mohegan in Fairfield Sunday.
- Tie-dyed pilgrims and white-haired Woodstock festival veterans converged at the generation-defining site in Bethel, New York, this weekend to celebrate its 50th anniversary
Looking for some excitement this summer? Check out some of these thrilling and extreme roller coasters, all located in the tri-state area.
- Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band performed at Long Island Community Hospital Amphitheater in Farmingville.
- The three-day festival of love and music featured some of the biggest musical names from the summer of love, including Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin and The Who.
News 12 Connecticut wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedCT.