Bridgeport man pulls gun on cops during tense standoff inside Fairfield bankPosted: Updated:
A Bridgeport man pulled a gun on Fairfield detectives during a tense standoff inside a bank, police say.
Carl Myers, 46, of Bridgeport, was arrested and is facing robbery and a slew of other charges, including assaulting an officer.
Police say Myers was suspected of stealing $120,000 from a Texas man. They say he opened up a bank account and made fraudulent transactions at Bankwell at 1 Sasco Hill Road in Southport last week.
Investigators say on April 23, Myers was confronted by detectives who were waiting for him to withdraw money at the bank.
Police say Myers drew a legally registered pistol, which he had concealed in his pants and a tense standoff ensued between him and several officers inside the bank.
Police say Myers’ 9-year-old son was inside the bank with him at the time of the incident.
Myers eventually lowered his pistol and then became combative with officers. He physically resisted arrest, and police say they used a Taser on him.
He was taken into custody and evaluated at the hospital, but was not injured.
One detective sustained an injury to his knee during this incident. No shots were fired at any time.
After further investigation, police say they arrested a Bridgeport woman in connection to the bank fraud incident.
Tanika Haase, 29, of Bridgeport, was also taken into custody when more evidence of the financial crimes was located in her possession.
Myers is being held on $250,000 bond, and Haase is being held on $150,000.
Both are expected to appear in court on May 30.
- A Stamford man accused of firing shots into a crowded park Wednesday was charged with 50 counts of reckless endangerment and 22 counts of risk of injury.
- Capt. Anthony Duff, of the New Haven Police Department, was discharged from the hospital Thursday, just over a week after being shot several times.
- Fairfield police say the strangers drove up in a black SUV on Greenfield Street Saturday.Fairfield police say the strangers drove up in a black SUV on Greenfield Street Saturday.
- The woman accused of setting a dead dog on fire at Sandy Point Beach in West Haven went before a judge Tuesday.The woman accused of setting a dead dog on fire at Sandy Point Beach in West Haven went before a judge Tuesday.
- A Norwalk woman is accused of removing her bathing suit bottoms and exposing herself in front of a child after a beachgoer's complaints.A Norwalk woman is accused of removing her bathing suit bottoms and exposing herself in front of a child after a beachgoer's complaints.
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- The George Washington Bridge has reopened after a suspicious package was cleared by the NYPD.The George Washington Bridge has reopened after a suspicious package was cleared by the NYPD.
- A Norwalk company is making sure students in the area are heading back to school next month with the proper school supplies.
- Religious leaders in Bridgeport gathered to show support for the police chief who has come under fire after recent incidents involving department officers.
- The 2019 MTV VMAs will be live from the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey on Monday, Aug. 26. Who can you expect to see as part of the star-studded night?
- Tie-dyed pilgrims and white-haired Woodstock festival veterans converged at the generation-defining site in Bethel, New York, this weekend to celebrate its 50th anniversary
- Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band performed at Long Island Community Hospital Amphitheater in Farmingville.
- The three-day festival of love and music featured some of the biggest musical names from the summer of love, including Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin and The Who.
Looking for some excitement this summer? Check out some of these thrilling and extreme roller coasters, all located in the tri-state area.