Bridgeport man pulls gun on cops during tense standoff inside Fairfield bankPosted: Updated:
A Bridgeport man pulled a gun on Fairfield detectives during a tense standoff inside a bank, police say.
Carl Myers, 46, of Bridgeport, was arrested and is facing robbery and a slew of other charges, including assaulting an officer.
Police say Myers was suspected of stealing $120,000 from a Texas man. They say he opened up a bank account and made fraudulent transactions at Bankwell at 1 Sasco Hill Road in Southport last week.
Investigators say on April 23, Myers was confronted by detectives who were waiting for him to withdraw money at the bank.
Police say Myers drew a legally registered pistol, which he had concealed in his pants and a tense standoff ensued between him and several officers inside the bank.
Police say Myers’ 9-year-old son was inside the bank with him at the time of the incident.
Myers eventually lowered his pistol and then became combative with officers. He physically resisted arrest, and police say they used a Taser on him.
He was taken into custody and evaluated at the hospital, but was not injured.
One detective sustained an injury to his knee during this incident. No shots were fired at any time.
After further investigation, police say they arrested a Bridgeport woman in connection to the bank fraud incident.
Tanika Haase, 29, of Bridgeport, was also taken into custody when more evidence of the financial crimes was located in her possession.
Myers is being held on $250,000 bond, and Haase is being held on $150,000.
Both are expected to appear in court on May 30.
- Bridgeport police are investigating a shooting that left a bouncer wounded with a gunshot to the abdomen.Bridgeport police are investigating a shooting that left a bouncer wounded with a gunshot to the abdomen.
- A body was found in Woodbridge Saturday night.A body was found in Woodbridge Saturday night.
- A mother claims her daughter was sexually assaulted at a friend's house Saturday by a stranger.A mother claims her daughter was sexually assaulted at a friend's house Saturday by a stranger.
- A Stamford man has been arrested after police linked him to damaged parking meters at a train station in New Canaan.A Stamford man has been arrested after police linked him to damaged parking meters at a train station in New Canaan.
- A Stamford man is accused of stealing power equipment from the Stamford Marriott.A Stamford man is accused of stealing power equipment from the Stamford Marriott.
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- The Darien man charged with manslaughter in the death of an Anguilla hotel worker did not attend his final hearing Monday.
- A 59-year-old woman who was thrown from her car in a crash on the Merritt Parkway Sunday night has died, police say.
- Veterans Day will see the warmest temps of the week, with highs climbing to 56 degrees. Clouds will increase through the day.
- The state's gymnastics community is mourning the loss of a young woman from Milford who died after a training accident.
- With record-breaking cold expected next week, Geoff Bansen explains where this unseasonable chill is coming from.
- The tree will be decked out in more than 50,000 multicolored lights and crowned with its iconic star.
- Stars hit the red carpet for the world premiere of "Frozen 2" at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles.Stars hit the red carpet for the world premiere of "Frozen 2" at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles.
- Styx at NYCB at WestburyStyx at NYCB at Westbury
- Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Palace Theatre in Stamford.Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Palace Theatre in Stamford.
- Here's the 2019 concert lineup for the College Street Music Hall in New Haven.Here's the 2019 concert lineup for the College Street Music Hall in New Haven.