Torrington man gets 22 years for wife’s murder, attempted coverupPosted: Updated:
Daniel Gervais, who pleaded guilty to killing his wife with a metal rod, was sentenced Friday to 22 years in prison.
Gervais, 72, admitted to killing his wife in April 2017 and then trying to cover it up before calling police.
News 12 previously reported that Gervais called 911 to report his wife had fallen at their home at Cider Mill Crossing in Torrington. The state medical examiner later determined Phyllis suffered multiple blows to the head and declared her death a homicide.
According to court documents, police found blood on Gervais' clothes and on an iron rod. Police also say they found blood in the sink, shower and a door jam.
Phyllis' daughters addressed the judge saying Gervais even pretended not to remember what happened, putting extra pain and stress on the family.
They told News 12 they were satisfied with the sentence, even though it could never bring their mother back.
In solidarity, Phyllis' daughters and granddaughters each wore a piece of her jewelry in court for the sentencing. They say they want her to be remembered for the funny, kind-hearted spirit she was.
The family says they welcomed Gervais into their home for more than 11 years and still can't imagine how this could have happened.
Judge: 70-year-old Torrington man competent to stand trial for murder of wife
70-year-old Torrington man not competent to stand trial in wife’s death
70-year-old Torrington man charged with killing wife, trying to hide evidence
Death of elderly Torrington woman ruled a homicide
- An investigation has revealed multiple credible allegations of sexual and physical abuse by former faculty and staff spanning decades at a school for deaf children in Connecticut.
- A Bethel man is charged with stealing and sending illicit photographs of several woman, and with possession of child pornography.
- The family of a Stamford man who was shot to death in Bridgeport marked what would have been his 37th birthday on Friday.The family of a Stamford man who was shot to death in Bridgeport marked what would have been his 37th birthday on Friday.
- At least four businesses in Fairfield were burglarized and police believe they may be connected to similar burglaries in Stratford and Bridgeport.At least four businesses in Fairfield were burglarized and police believe they may be connected to similar burglaries in Stratford and Bridgeport.
- The former attorney and friend of Fotis Dulos appeared in court Thursday in connection to the disappearance and killing of Jennifer Dulos.The former attorney and friend of Fotis Dulos appeared in court Thursday in connection to the disappearance and killing of Jennifer Dulos.
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Police say a pregnant Bridgeport woman suffered a miscarriage after being assaulted by another woman.
- Bernie Sanders scored a resounding victory in Nevada’s presidential caucuses on Saturday, cementing his status as the Democrats' national front-runner.
- The incident took place at Park Avenue and Olive Street. Police say none of the injuries were life-threatening.