Family pleads with Connecticut lawmakers to not legalize recreational potPosted: Updated:
The topic of recreational marijuana was a big discussion at the state Capitol Monday.
A western Connecticut family made an emotional plea for lawmakers to reject the idea.
Susan Klein, from Brookfield, says that she and her husband were driving home from a concert four years ago when a teenager who was high on marijuana crashed into their car. Her husband did not survive the crash.
Klein and her sister testified before the state tax-writing committee in Hartford Monday. They say it's simply too hard for police to test for drivers who are stoned - something law enforcement is also worried about.
Lawmakers debated Monday how much to tax pot if it becomes legal. The current plan calls for a 9% sales tax, which could send up to $160 million a year to inner cities like Bridgeport.
Democrats like Greenwich state Sen. Alex Bergstein are opposed. Gov. Ned Lamont also said there was a reason he didn't include it in the state budget.
"I didn't put it in because I didn't know if it was going to pass and I'll leave that up to the Legislature and if it passes, it would represent revenues next year,” he says.
Legal marijuana supporters say if marijuana taxes are too high, customers will just stick with the black market.
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- The Darien man charged with manslaughter in the death of an Anguilla hotel worker did not attend his final hearing Monday.
- A 59-year-old woman who was thrown from her car in a crash on the Merritt Parkway Sunday night has died, police say.
- Veterans Day will see the warmest temps of the week, with highs climbing to 56 degrees. Clouds will increase through the day.
- The state's gymnastics community is mourning the loss of a young woman from Milford who died after a training accident.
- With record-breaking cold expected next week, Geoff Bansen explains where this unseasonable chill is coming from.
- The tree will be decked out in more than 50,000 multicolored lights and crowned with its iconic star.
- Stars hit the red carpet for the world premiere of "Frozen 2" at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles.Stars hit the red carpet for the world premiere of "Frozen 2" at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles.
- Styx at NYCB at WestburyStyx at NYCB at Westbury
- Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Palace Theatre in Stamford.Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Palace Theatre in Stamford.
- Here's the 2019 concert lineup for the College Street Music Hall in New Haven.Here's the 2019 concert lineup for the College Street Music Hall in New Haven.