Disabled and recovering veterans treated to day of relaxation and funPosted: Updated:
For the 60th year in a row, dozens of disabled and recovering military veterans got the opportunity to connect outside their hospitals or nursing homes.
The Veterans of Foreign Wars bused 150 disabled and recovering military veterans from VA hospitals from across the state to Milford for an afternoon of food, music and entertainment.
Bobbie Highsmith has been coming for years now. He says his favorite part is the gifts they receive before leaving that usually include books, toiletries and food.
But organizers hope they also walk away feeling refreshed, appreciated and well connected with fellow vets from around the state.
The buses, handicap-accessible vans and food were donated by sponsors.
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- At least eight people are displaced after a house fire in Bridgeport Wednesday.At least eight people are displaced after a house fire in Bridgeport Wednesday.
- The Black Rock Community Council of Bridgeport unveiled a new memorial honoring a woman executed for witchcraft.
- Today is a day to let the senior citizens in your life know how much you love and appreciate them - it's National Senior Citizens Day!
- NY demanda regla de carga pública. Alerta de salud por uso de cigarillos electrónicos.NY demanda regla de carga pública. Alerta de salud por uso de cigarillos electrónicos.
- A battle is brewing in Stamford over a proposed ordinance that would ban pet stores from selling dogs and cats.
- Tie-dyed pilgrims and white-haired Woodstock festival veterans converged at the generation-defining site in Bethel, New York, this weekend to celebrate its 50th anniversary
- Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band performed at Long Island Community Hospital Amphitheater in Farmingville.
- The three-day festival of love and music featured some of the biggest musical names from the summer of love, including Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin and The Who.
Looking for some excitement this summer? Check out some of these thrilling and extreme roller coasters, all located in the tri-state area.
- Are you looking for some outdoor fun and adventure this summer? Or maybe you're just thinking up some ideas to help the kids cool off in the summer heat? The tri-state area has a handful of water parks that may do the trick.