Bridgeport gun buyback yields assault rifles, nearly 100 guns in 1 hourPosted: Updated:
The Police Commissioners Association of Connecticut and the Marilyn Goldstone Foundation hosted a gun buyback recovery program Saturday, with the goal of reducing the number of guns circulating in Bridgeport.
Neighborhood leaders in the north end of the city tell News 12 Connecticut they are grateful to be a part of the solution, where reducing violent crime is always a top priority.
The going rate for a high-quality handgun was $200, while assault rifles went for twice that.
Nearly 100 guns were collected in the first hour alone – among them, an assault rifle. Residents said they were happy to see off the streets of the city.
Chip Rubenstein, of the Police Commissioners Association of Connecticut, said one man brought in 11 weapons from his home.
Sen. Richard Blumenthal said gun buybacks make homes, communities and families safer.
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Police say two people are injured following a shooting in Bridgeport Friday.Police say two people are injured following a shooting in Bridgeport Friday.
- This week's workout comes from Donna at Lifetime Athletic Club. News 12's Elizabeth Hashagen learns some moves that incorporate strength training and yoga.
- In honor of the first U.S. patent for a waffle iron on August 24, 1869 - today we celebrate National Waffle Day!
Univision 41 News Brief: NYC llega a los salones de belleza para luchar contra la violencia domésticaNYC llega a los salones de belleza para luchar contra la violencia doméstica. Familia dominicana busca desesperadamente a su ser querido en Jersey City.
- Milford police say they believe someone intentionally hit geese with a car in Milford Friday afternoon.
- The 2019 MTV VMAs will be live from the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey on Monday, Aug. 26. Who can you expect to see as part of the star-studded night?
- Tie-dyed pilgrims and white-haired Woodstock festival veterans converged at the generation-defining site in Bethel, New York, this weekend to celebrate its 50th anniversary
- Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band performed at Long Island Community Hospital Amphitheater in Farmingville.
- The three-day festival of love and music featured some of the biggest musical names from the summer of love, including Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin and The Who.
- Storm photos in July from around the tri-state area.Storm photos in July from around the tri-state area.