Stratford police fatally shoot pit bull that attacked young girlPosted: Updated:
Police say they had no choice but to put down a pit bull after it attacked a young girl and went after an officer.
The dog, named Sosa, had been staying with a family on Everett Street for less than a week.
On Tuesday afternoon, witnesses say the dog started biting a young girl who was visiting from Milford.
A neighbor grabbed a shovel and tried to fend off the dog. Police arrived and used a stun gun to get the dog off the girl but say it then started trying to attack an officer. That's when police say the officer was forced to shoot it.
News 12 met with the dog's owner when she came to the police station, but she did not want to speak on camera.
Friends say the attacked girl is doing well.
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- The Darien man charged with manslaughter in the death of an Anguilla hotel worker did not attend his final hearing Monday.
- A 59-year-old woman who was thrown from her car in a crash on the Merritt Parkway Sunday night has died, police say.
- Veterans Day will see the warmest temps of the week, with highs climbing to 56 degrees. Clouds will increase through the day.
- The state's gymnastics community is mourning the loss of a young woman from Milford who died after a training accident.
- With record-breaking cold expected next week, Geoff Bansen explains where this unseasonable chill is coming from.
- The tree will be decked out in more than 50,000 multicolored lights and crowned with its iconic star.
- Stars hit the red carpet for the world premiere of "Frozen 2" at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles.Stars hit the red carpet for the world premiere of "Frozen 2" at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles.
- Styx at NYCB at WestburyStyx at NYCB at Westbury
- Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Palace Theatre in Stamford.Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Palace Theatre in Stamford.
- Here's the 2019 concert lineup for the College Street Music Hall in New Haven.Here's the 2019 concert lineup for the College Street Music Hall in New Haven.