Disabled 81-year-old from Milford says he has been threatened with evictionPosted: Updated:
A disabled 81-year-old from Milford says he could soon be homeless and has been threatened with eviction.
Milord Jean Pierre came to the U.S from Haiti almost half a century ago, and raised four children.
The former cab driver says his benefits were cut recently, the very same month that his rent in his building went up.
He says he could soon be homeless, and he showed News 12 papers threatening him with eviction.
"The whole idea of becoming homeless for you at the age of 81 is the worst nightmare you can imagine. It's a horrible…problem,” he says.
Sen. Richard Blumenthal met Sunday with Pierre and said he would do everything in his power to try and help him.
He says like many older Americans on a fixed income, Pierre and his woes are part of a trend.
"Seniors are more vulnerable than ever before to homelessness, health issues,” says Blumenthal.
Pierre said he is not looking for a whole bunch of money, just looking to live in peace.
"I hope to stay here, that's all,” he says.
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- The Anguilla Attorney General is seeking an arrest warrant Tuesday from the high court for a Darien man who failed to appear in court on a manslaughter charge because he feared for his safety.
The deadline to submit your pet in the Cutest Pets Contest is approaching! Make sure you send us a photo of your pet by noon on Nov. 13!
- Colder temperatures and periods of rain are expected to hit the region Tuesday.Colder temperatures and periods of rain are expected to hit the region Tuesday.
- The Supreme Court announced Tuesday it will allow the lawsuit against the gun-maker in the Sandy Hook school shooting to move forward.
- A huge outpouring of support has come in for the friends and family of the Southern Connecticut State University gymnast who died following a fall during practice.
- The tree will be decked out in more than 50,000 multicolored lights and crowned with its iconic star.
- Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.
- If you are looking to start your holiday shopping before the turkey is out of the oven, here are stores that will be opened for Thanksgiving.
- Stars hit the red carpet for the world premiere of "Frozen 2" at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles.Stars hit the red carpet for the world premiere of "Frozen 2" at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles.
- Styx at NYCB at WestburyStyx at NYCB at Westbury