Attorneys offer legal analysis into Jennifer Dulos casePosted: Updated:
News 12 spoke with a former prosecutor and a current defense attorney who offered a legal analysis in the Jennifer Dulos case.
Dulos, a mother of five, disappeared on May 24. Police found her blood in her home and on items thrown out in trash cans in Hartford. Security footage captured what appeared to be her estranged husband Fotis Dulos and his girlfriend Michelle Troconis dumping the evidence.
They were charged with tampering with or fabricating evidence and hindering prosecution. They pleaded not guilty.
Dulos is now back at home wearing a GPS ankle monitor. He is seemingly going about life as normal – something New Canaan defense attorney Matthew Maddox says would be his advice to a client.
“There is a deliberate strategy here to create images that are consistent with a human being, living a standard type of life – going for a jog – to counteract those very stark images of him in court in an orange jumpsuit,” he says.
Maddox also speculated that Dulos’ defense team has instructed him not to make any comments about the mother of his five children.
“If he's my client, he's keeping his mouth shut,” says Maddox. “I don't care how much anguish he has. He's got to be quiet.”
In court Tuesday, the prosecutor revealed that Fotis Dulos' DNA was found mixed with his wife's blood on her kitchen faucet.
Former prosecutor Kevin Black says the state's attorney is clearly convinced he is going to be able to prove a murder charge in the future. That's one reason why prosecutors tried to get Dulos' bond raised.
Black says law enforcement will continue their investigation until they feel they're uncovered every possible piece of information they can.
“They're going to want to make sure they have their case at a point where they think they can prove it beyond a reasonable doubt because this case is going to be a trial,” says Black.
He added that there have been trials and convictions without a body before, “but it’s hard.”
“The jury really wants to hear that there are no other possible explanations that make sense to them,” says Black.
As for Maddox, he says he’s fascinated by Troconis in this case. She's met with law enforcement but there's been no announced breakthrough in this case. That leads him to believe she either doesn't have information or doesn't know how to cooperate.
Jennifer Dulos coverageMore>>
- The estranged husband charged in the disappearance of a New Canaan mother of five appeared in court today for a pretrial hearing.The estranged husband charged in the disappearance of a New Canaan mother of five appeared in court today for a pretrial hearing.
- Multiple outlets are reporting that state prosecutors are asking a judge for a gag order for attorneys involved in the case against Fotis Dulos.Multiple outlets are reporting that state prosecutors are asking a judge for a gag order for attorneys involved in the case against Fotis Dulos.
- Jennifer Dulos, of New Canaan, has been missing since Friday, May 24. Her vehicle – a black Chevrolet Suburban – was found on Lapham Road that evening.Jennifer Dulos, of New Canaan, has been missing since Friday, May 24. Her vehicle – a black Chevrolet Suburban – was found on Lapham Road that evening.
- Officials recovered a blood-stained shirt and bra they believe belonged to missing New Canaan woman Jennifer Dulos during their time searching trash bins in Hartford.Officials recovered a blood-stained shirt and bra they believe belonged to missing New Canaan woman Jennifer Dulos during their time searching trash bins in Hartford.
- The attorney for the estranged husband of Jennifer Dulos has filed to withdraw from his client's divorce case.The attorney for the estranged husband of Jennifer Dulos has filed to withdraw from his client's divorce case.
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Authorities say a mother was stabbed by her 15-year-old child in Bridgeport.Authorities say a mother was stabbed by her 15-year-old child in Bridgeport.
- A Bridgeport police officer was placed on administrative leave after being captured on video apparently striking a suspect in the head with a gun.
- Bail was set at $200,000 for a homeless man from West Virginia who was charged with placing two devices that looked like pressure cookers in a New York City subway station.
- Michelle Troconis is scheduled to appear in court Monday in connection to the Jennifer Dulos disappearance case.
- Fire crews pulled a man out of Lake Mohegan in Fairfield Sunday.Fire crews pulled a man out of Lake Mohegan in Fairfield Sunday.
- Tie-dyed pilgrims and white-haired Woodstock festival veterans converged at the generation-defining site in Bethel, New York, this weekend to celebrate its 50th anniversary
Looking for some excitement this summer? Check out some of these thrilling and extreme roller coasters, all located in the tri-state area.
- Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band performed at Long Island Community Hospital Amphitheater in Farmingville.
- The three-day festival of love and music featured some of the biggest musical names from the summer of love, including Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin and The Who.
News 12 Connecticut wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedCT.