Officials: Fire breaks out inside basement of Bridgeport home

Posted: Updated:
BRIDGEPORT -

A fire broke out inside the basement of a Bridgeport home, officials say.

The fire happened Thursday inside of a home on Hastings Street around 1 p.m. 

Fire officials says the fire apparently started in the dryer, damaging the basement and first floor.

All seven people inside the home were able to get out safely thanks to a working smoke alarm, officials say.

The Red Cross was called to help the five adults and two children who were living in the home at the time of the fire.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."