Special Weather STATEMENT in effect for:
Bridgeport seniors remain trapped by broken elevatorPosted: Updated:
A broken elevator at a Bridgeport building has left more than a hundred seniors and disabled residents trapped on the upper floors, including some who are in poor health.
The sole elevator at the Davey Condominiums on Boston Avenue in Bridgeport is broken, turning residents’ lives upside down.
It began last month when the residents saw a sewage leak that caused the elevator to have a shortage.
Dozens of disabled residents have been facing one medical emergency after another amid the outage.
News 12 reported the situation to Bridgeport Public Health Director Maritza Bond, who says the city will compel the property manager to make the repairs immediately or replace the elevator.
But Bond tells News 12 that because of the elevator was built before 1972, the company simply can't track down the parts. Bond says the scarcity of parts due to older building age is why elevators are breaking down all over the city.
“We've investigated 15 cases over the past two years alone,” Bond says. “All of them leaving seniors and disabled residents trapped on upper floors.”
The property manager tells News 12 Connecticut he has an excellent record of maintaining this elevator, and he's doing everything in his power to get it fixed as quickly as possible.
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- The parents of a Bridgeport woman suffering from multiple sclerosis and dementia say their daughter is unable to get the specialized health care she needs.The parents of a Bridgeport woman suffering from multiple sclerosis and dementia say their daughter is unable to get the specialized health care she needs.
It's a battle for bragging rights! News 12 is looking for the schools with the most school spirit! Is it yours?
- It's National Reptile Awareness Day - a day to celebrate our cold-blooded animal friends.It's National Reptile Awareness Day - a day to celebrate our cold-blooded animal friends.
- A veteran Norwalk police officer accused of fleeing the scene of a drunk driving crash has been suspended for five days.A veteran Norwalk police officer accused of fleeing the scene of a drunk driving crash has been suspended for five days.
- A plumbing problem in a public housing complex in Bridgeport led to flooding in dozens of apartments.A plumbing problem in a public housing complex in Bridgeport led to flooding in dozens of apartments.
- Heavy right and high winds swept through the tri-state area due to a large coast storm on the night of Oct. 16. Here are your photos from the storm.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
News 12 Connecticut wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedCT.
Looking to check out brewery this summer? There are many breweries across the state for beer-lovers to visit.
It's a celebration! Is your or a loved one's birthday coming up? Let us know! Send us your photos and you could end up on air and News12.com!