Fotis Dulos breaks silence, his attorney suggests 'revenge suicide' possible in disappearancePosted: Updated:
The attorney for the estranged husband of Jennifer Dulos says the missing New Canaan mom may have carried out a "revenge suicide."
Those remarks came after a contentious court appearance Wednesday regarding custody of the couple's five children.
Fotis Dulos spoke out for the first time with a brief statement centered around his children. He did not take questions or mention his estranged wife, whose disappearance he is charged in connection with.
"I just want to tell my children that they're constantly on my mind and that I love them and miss them very much," Fotis Dulos said.
Jennifer Dulos was last seen dropping her kids off at school the morning of May 24. Police believe she was the victim of a serious physical assault inside her home. They found her blood in the garage and on the kitchen faucet, mixed with Fotis Dulos' DNA.
Fotis Dulos and his girlfriend, Michelle Troconis, are charged with evidence tampering and hindering prosecution after surveillance cameras captured what appeared to be the couple throwing out garbage bags in a Hartford neighborhood. Tests on items recovered came back a match for Jennifer Dulos' blood.
Fotis Dulos' attorney Norm Pattis doubled down on his theory Wednesday that this wasn't foul play.
"We are actively contemplating a revenge suicide hypothesis as an explanation for her disappearance," said Pattis.
In court, the focus was mainly on a private psychological report conducted in the custody case. Pattis wants it unsealed to use in Fotis Dulos' criminal defense.
Pattis also said his client is willing to sit down with state police and discuss his estranged wife's state of mind before she disappeared, but he wants to be able to talk about the report. The judge ruled against that Wednesday morning.
"You heard us say today in court, comments that Jennifer made to Mr. Dulos that give us grave concerns for her safety and well-being," said Pattis.
The attorney representing Jennifer Dulos called the use of the sealed report appalling. Rueben Midler told the judge "This has to stop. It's easy to besmirch someone who's not here."
Custody has been at the center of the Dulos' two-year divorce case. The five kids, ages 8 to 13, have been with Jennifer Dulos' mother since her disappearance. Gloria Farber is now seeking custody, which the judge said today she hopes to rule on soon.
Michelle Troconis' attorney filed a motion Wednesday to amend the conditions of her release. It asks the court to prohibit Fotis Dulos and his attorneys "From having any contact whatsoever" with her, whether it be in person, by phone, or online.
That motion paints a different one filed by Pattis earlier this week, asking that the couple be allowed to see each other.
Chief: Search at trash facility ends, but Dulos probe is ‘active and dynamic’
Attorney: Jennifer Dulos may have staged her own disappearance
Police say they know what they're looking for at trash facility in Dulos case
'This situation is real, and it is dire' - Jennifer Dulos search hits 4-week mark
Analyst: Dulos’ motions to return seized property is a ‘strategy’
State police return to Hartford trash facility to search for Jennifer Dulos
Police sift through tips, surveillance footage in Dulos disappearance
Jennifer Dulos coverageMore>>
- The estranged husband charged in the disappearance of a New Canaan mother of five appeared in court today for a pretrial hearing.The estranged husband charged in the disappearance of a New Canaan mother of five appeared in court today for a pretrial hearing.
- Multiple outlets are reporting that state prosecutors are asking a judge for a gag order for attorneys involved in the case against Fotis Dulos.Multiple outlets are reporting that state prosecutors are asking a judge for a gag order for attorneys involved in the case against Fotis Dulos.
- Jennifer Dulos, of New Canaan, has been missing since Friday, May 24. Her vehicle – a black Chevrolet Suburban – was found on Lapham Road that evening.Jennifer Dulos, of New Canaan, has been missing since Friday, May 24. Her vehicle – a black Chevrolet Suburban – was found on Lapham Road that evening.
- Officials recovered a blood-stained shirt and bra they believe belonged to missing New Canaan woman Jennifer Dulos during their time searching trash bins in Hartford.Officials recovered a blood-stained shirt and bra they believe belonged to missing New Canaan woman Jennifer Dulos during their time searching trash bins in Hartford.
- The attorney for the estranged husband of Jennifer Dulos has filed to withdraw from his client's divorce case.The attorney for the estranged husband of Jennifer Dulos has filed to withdraw from his client's divorce case.
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Authorities say a mother was stabbed by her 15-year-old child in Bridgeport.Authorities say a mother was stabbed by her 15-year-old child in Bridgeport.
- A Bridgeport police officer was placed on administrative leave after being captured on video apparently striking a suspect in the head with a gun.
- Bail was set at $200,000 for a homeless man from West Virginia who was charged with placing two devices that looked like pressure cookers in a New York City subway station.
- Michelle Troconis is scheduled to appear in court Monday in connection to the Jennifer Dulos disappearance case.
- Neighbors gathered for the Port 5 Wienerfest fundraiser in Bridgeport Sunday to honor veterans.Neighbors gathered for the Port 5 Wienerfest fundraiser in Bridgeport Sunday to honor veterans.
- Tie-dyed pilgrims and white-haired Woodstock festival veterans converged at the generation-defining site in Bethel, New York, this weekend to celebrate its 50th anniversary
Looking for some excitement this summer? Check out some of these thrilling and extreme roller coasters, all located in the tri-state area.
- Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band performed at Long Island Community Hospital Amphitheater in Farmingville.
- The three-day festival of love and music featured some of the biggest musical names from the summer of love, including Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin and The Who.
News 12 Connecticut wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedCT.