Special Weather STATEMENT in effect for:
Missing CT man’s body recovered from Lake CarmelPosted: Updated:
The body of a missing swimmer from Connecticut has been recovered from Lake Carmel, officials say.
Police and rescue crews were back on the lake Monday morning where they recovered the body of a Connecticut swimmer who went missing on Saturday.
The 54-year-old Redding man told his family he was going swimming in Lake Carmel on Saturday afternoon, but officials say he never came home, so his wife called police.
Police began their search Saturday, which continued Sunday and into Monday morning.
Officials say an officer saw a body floating in the water about 1,000 yards off the shoreline.
Police Chief Kevin Owens says the officer used a pair of binoculars to spot the body.
“One of our officers patrolling around the lake, officer Knap, had a pair of binoculars, he thought he saw something out in the middle of the lake. We sent some boats out in the area with the assistance of the sheriff's office and Lake Carmel park district employees where they discovered the body, recovered it and brought it back in," Owens says.
Owens says the man swam Lake Carmel regularly, so it's still unclear what happened, although the incident is not being considered suspicious.
The lake is back open to swimmers and boaters, and the chief is reminding people to use caution on the water.
"Don't swim alone, swim where there are lifeguards on duty, don't use drugs or alcohol if you are going swimming," Owens says.
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- A student was found dead inside of a car on the campus of Southern Connecticut State University, officials say.A student was found dead inside of a car on the campus of Southern Connecticut State University, officials say.
- A bald eagle has died days after being struck by a car on Route 8, officials say.A bald eagle has died days after being struck by a car on Route 8, officials say.
It's a battle for bragging rights! News 12 is looking for the schools with the most school spirit! Is it yours?
- It's National Reptile Awareness Day - a day to celebrate our cold-blooded animal friends.It's National Reptile Awareness Day - a day to celebrate our cold-blooded animal friends.
- It’s one of the sweetest holidays - Halloween is less than 2 weeks away! But how much do you know about Halloween candy? Test your knowledge with our quiz.It’s one of the sweetest holidays - Halloween is less than 2 weeks away! But how much do you know about Halloween candy? Test your knowledge with our quiz.
- Heavy right and high winds swept through the tri-state area due to a large coast storm on the night of Oct. 16. Here are your photos from the storm.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
News 12 Connecticut wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedCT.
Looking to check out brewery this summer? There are many breweries across the state for beer-lovers to visit.
It's a celebration! Is your or a loved one's birthday coming up? Let us know! Send us your photos and you could end up on air and News12.com!