Terminal flooding causes Tweed Airport to shut downPosted: Updated:
Terminal flooding at Tweed Airport Tuesday left some travelers unable to get to their destinations.
The New Haven airport was closed for most of the day Tuesday after Monday night's storm.
Dryers were on throughout the day Tuesday in an attempt to soak up the moisture.
Director of Emergency Operations Rick Fontana got to the airport around 9:30 p.m. Monday. He says in his 11 years in emergency management, he's never seen flooding like this. He says the water impacted all parts of the terminal, including the ticketing and security screening.
Fontana says he's happy there were no injuries, just inconveniences.
"There wasn't much you can do. You're not going to stop Mother Nature; that water is going to move in the path of least resistance, and basically that's what it did. It made its own way in," Fontana said.
Fontana adds they are looking into the infrastructure to be better equipped for the next storm.
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Police say two people are injured following a shooting in Bridgeport Friday.Police say two people are injured following a shooting in Bridgeport Friday.
- This week's workout comes from Donna at Lifetime Athletic Club. News 12's Elizabeth Hashagen learns some moves that incorporate strength training and yoga.
- In honor of the first U.S. patent for a waffle iron on August 24, 1869 - today we celebrate National Waffle Day!
Univision 41 News Brief: NYC llega a los salones de belleza para luchar contra la violencia domésticaNYC llega a los salones de belleza para luchar contra la violencia doméstica. Familia dominicana busca desesperadamente a su ser querido en Jersey City.
- Milford police say they believe someone intentionally hit geese with a car in Milford Friday afternoon.
- The 2019 MTV VMAs will be live from the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey on Monday, Aug. 26. Who can you expect to see as part of the star-studded night?
- Tie-dyed pilgrims and white-haired Woodstock festival veterans converged at the generation-defining site in Bethel, New York, this weekend to celebrate its 50th anniversary
- Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band performed at Long Island Community Hospital Amphitheater in Farmingville.
- The three-day festival of love and music featured some of the biggest musical names from the summer of love, including Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin and The Who.
- Storm photos in July from around the tri-state area.Storm photos in July from around the tri-state area.