NYPD: Objects found at subway station aren't explosivesPosted: Updated:
NEW YORK (AP) - Two suspicious objects that prompted an evacuation of a major lower Manhattan subway station during the morning commute Friday are not explosives, police said.
The bomb squad cleared the items found at the Fulton Street station, New York Police Department Counterterrorism Chief James Waters said on Twitter.
Waters posted photos of the objects, which looked like pressure cookers or electric crockpots.
"The suspicion is that they were placed there to suggest that they were electronic devices and possible bombs," Gov. Andrew Cuomo said on WCBS-AM after the all clear was given.
The devices were found at the line that carries No. 2 and 3 trains around 7 a.m.
The station is a busy transit hub a few blocks from the World Trade Center.
In 2017, a would-be suicide attacker set off a homemade pipe bomb in an underground passageway at the Times Square subway station during rush hour, seriously injuring himself.
(Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
8/16/2019 8:38:32 AM (GMT -4:00)
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Torrington officials are investigating the cause of a fire that destroyed a landmark eatery in town Thursday morning.
- Sean McCabe brings us to Connecticut's first brewery/music venue: Woodbury Brewing Company.Sean McCabe brings us to Connecticut's first brewery/music venue: Woodbury Brewing Company.
- Ford is recalling over 168,000 F-150 pickup trucks in North America to fix an electrical problem that could cause engine stalling or fires.
- A student gunman opened fire Thursday at a Southern California high school, killing two students and wounding three others before he was captured in grave condition after shooting himself in the head, authorities said.
- Residents in the Black Rock section of Bridgeport voiced their concerns during a public meeting over an uptick of break-ins and robberies.
- The tree will be decked out in more than 50,000 multicolored lights and crowned with its iconic star.
- Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.
- If you are looking to start your holiday shopping before the turkey is out of the oven, here are stores that will be opened for Thanksgiving.
- Stars hit the red carpet for the world premiere of "Frozen 2" at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles.Stars hit the red carpet for the world premiere of "Frozen 2" at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles.
- Styx at NYCB at WestburyStyx at NYCB at Westbury