Stamford firehouse plagued by mold issues

Posted: Updated:

Mold has posed a threat to Stamford firefighters at their Woodside Station on Washington Boulevard.

The fire department provided News 12 with photos of mold growing on some of the ceiling tiles and vents that has caused the firehouse to close.

The city has hired an environmental company to deal with the issues. They believe the mold is from moisture in an air conditioning unit.

The mayor's office says after mold was found in public schools last year, the city is taking no chances.

The city says it expects the issue to be resolved and have the fire department back open again in a few weeks. All of the equipment and personnel have moved to the firehouse on Main Street for now.

Fire officials say the building was built in the 1970s. The city says it isn't sure how much it will cost to fix the issue, but it has already been built into the city budget.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."