Special Weather STATEMENT in effect for:
Bridgeport teen arrested on illegal gun possession chargesPosted: Updated:
A Bridgeport teen was arrested on charges of possessing an illegal and stolen gun following a police chase.
Police say 19-year-old Stanley Gill led undercover officers on a foot-chase through the neighborhood.
Authorities say the chase ended when Capt. Brian Fitzgerald spotted Gill inside an auto-repair shop, hiding beneath a vehicle as if he were working on it.
Gill had a Glock semi-automatic handgun, police say, loaded with hollow-point bullets meant to cause serious internal injuries.
At 3 p.m. Thursday, police shut down Stratford Avenue as dozens of officers helped secure the crime scene.
This arrest comes from a joint effort between state police and the FBI. Police say the section of Stratford Avenue in the East End of Bridgeport has long been plagued by murders, armed robberies and other violent crimes. That's why they've partnered up with the FBI to clean the area up, they say.
Police Chief AJ Perez says the undercover operation yielded excellent results. "We're trying to prevent these things from happening by taking these guns and violent individuals off the street," he says.
Curtis Rushing, a resident in the area, says he agrees that the street is very dangerous and the officers’ efforts are effective. “What they're doing so far, it's a start, it's a great idea,” he says.
However, Rushing says he believes sweeping the streets isn’t the only solution to stop crime in the area. "I think mentoring would be much more effective than actually sweeping.”
As police continue efforts like this one, Rushing says his hope is that a dual strategy involving both police work and social work will change Stratford Avenue. "If we did more for our communities and at the same time kept cleaning up the streets, then I think this would be a perfect project and everyone would be happy with the results,” he says.
Gill’s bond was set at $250,000.
Police say their undercover operations along Stratford Avenue will continue.
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Check out these Concerts in Connecticut for September through October.Check out these Concerts in Connecticut for September through October.
- The Connecticut Department of Revenue Services has released a letter to Gov. Lamont that outlines change to a recently adopted meals tax law.
- A Norwalk man who showed an interest in mass shootings will appear in court Friday on illegal gun charges.
- New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio announced Friday on MSNBC's 'Morning Joe' that he has ended his bid for president.
- Se esperan por lo menos 800 marchas hoy, incluyendo una en la Gran Manzana, con cientos de jóvenes peleando en contra del cambio climático.
Former Fairfield Superintendent of Public Works Scott Bartlett and Julian Enterprises owner Jason Julian were arrested and charged with larceny, forgery and dumping.
- Bridgeport police have made an arrest in the murder of a Stamford native who was killed over the summer.Bridgeport police have made an arrest in the murder of a Stamford native who was killed over the summer.
- State police say a Bridgeport man has been arrested after they uncovered assault rifles, drugs and wads of cash at his apartment.State police say a Bridgeport man has been arrested after they uncovered assault rifles, drugs and wads of cash at his apartment.
- A man is fighting for his life at Bridgeport Hospital after police say he was shot 12 times early Sunday morning.A man is fighting for his life at Bridgeport Hospital after police say he was shot 12 times early Sunday morning.
- Get ready to sample fare from baseball stadiums from across the country at the MLB FoodFest.Get ready to sample fare from baseball stadiums from across the country at the MLB FoodFest.
- Here's the 2019 concert lineup for the College Street Music Hall in New Haven.Here's the 2019 concert lineup for the College Street Music Hall in New Haven.
- The Who perform at Jones BeachThe Who perform at Jones Beach
- Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Palace Theatre in Stamford.Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Palace Theatre in Stamford.
- Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.