Officials: Bridgeport building vacated due to ‘severe electrical hazards’

Posted: Updated:

More than a dozen people in Bridgeport were displaced after firefighters say they found "severe electrical hazards" at an East Side building.

First responders were called to 1076 E. Main St. around 10 p.m. Friday after a passerby called 911 to report sparking wires.

Officials say firefighters noticed many electrical problems in the three-story building, which houses both businesses and apartments.

"The hazard was too severe to allow the residents to live in the second or third floors, so the building was vacated, UI was notified and the power was shut off and the Red Cross was also notified to provide lodgings for 10 adults and three children,” says Asst. Chief Lance Edwards, from the Bridgeport Fire Department.

Officials say the two businesses affected by the incident were Shorty's Deli and Natural Juices M&G.


They say the building will stay empty until all the problems are fixed and the owner gets the proper permits.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."