Judge sets bond at $2M in Southwood Square Apartments slayingPosted: Updated:
A judge ordered the suspect accused in a deadly Stamford shooting held on $2 million bond Monday, as prosecutors laid out evidence in the case.
Michael James, 53, is accused of killing 39-year-old Torrick Johnson last Wednesday.
The prosecution told the court Monday that they have a "uniquely strong case" against James. Investigators say that's because they have video of James committing the murder.
The shooting happened behind 108 Montauk Drive at the Southwood Square Apartments, a complex that's filled with cameras. Authorities allege that James shot Johnson until he fell to the ground, then stood over him and fired two more times.
Investigators say the shooting followed some type of disagreement between a large group of people. According to the warrant, witnesses said that Johnson was not a part of the disagreement, but was trying to de-escalate the situation.
Johnson's loved ones were in court on Monday, but did not want to go on camera. News 12 spoke with his aunt last week, who said Johnson was a family man who will be missed.
James' family was also in court, and he looked back at them several times as he went before the judge at his arraignment.
The prosecution pointed to his 22 previous convictions and said that he has a history of not coming to court.
As he was led out of the courtroom Monday, someone yelled out "murderer."
The judge set bond at $2 million. James is due back in court on Dec. 6.
- Police say a man was arrested for attempting to break into two homes in Fairfield Saturday.Police say a man was arrested for attempting to break into two homes in Fairfield Saturday.
- Police say a man has been arrested in connection to a string of burglaries at Fairfield businesses.Police say a man has been arrested in connection to a string of burglaries at Fairfield businesses.
- Police have arrested 47 people in connection to drag racing in New Haven.Police have arrested 47 people in connection to drag racing in New Haven.
- A Bridgeport couple interrupted an attempted home invasion -- and the encounter was caught on camera.A Bridgeport couple interrupted an attempted home invasion -- and the encounter was caught on camera.
- A man is recovering after he was shot three times in Bridgeport.A man is recovering after he was shot three times in Bridgeport.
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Heavy rainfall and thunderstorms are rolling through western Connecticut, and will last for at least the remainder of the day.
- Alerta del tiempo hay lluvia intensa para esta noche.Alerta del tiempo hay lluvia intensa para esta noche.
- A former professor who co-wrote a book calling the Sandy Hook shooting a hoax has been ordered to pay nearly $500,000 to a father of one of the victims.
- News 12's Suzanne Goldklang is on the road along the Westport shoreline as rain falls fast across Connecticut.
- A local senior living facility has come up with an impressive way to raise money for Alzheimer's research.