Connecticut residents won't be able to board planes without this special ID starting in 2020Posted: Updated:
The Office of Public Affairs is reminding Connecticut residents that they will need a new ID to board airplanes beginning next year.
Residents of Connecticut will need a REAL ID to board an airplane for a domestic flight beginning in October 1, 2020.
Connecticut’s REAL ID driver’s licenses and identification cards have a small golden-colored star in the upper right corner to indicate that it meets federal regulations that establish minimum security standards.
Connecticut residents have the option to upgrade to a REAL ID if their license does not currently have the star, or stick with an older, standard driver’s license.
However, a standard credential without the star will not be valid to board a domestic flight or to access secure federal facilities, including military bases and some federal offices.
The standard Connecticut driver’s license will have the words “not for federal identification” printed at the top.
To get the REAL ID star, the Office of Public Affairs says residents will need to visit their local DMV office in person and bring certain documents to prove U.S. Citizenship and state residency. The program is available at DMV offices, participating AAA locations, Milford and North Haven Nutmeg State Financial Credit Union offices, Stamford (operated by the Workplace, Inc.) and West Haven City Hall.
Required documents include one proof of identity, one proof of legal presence, two proofs of Connecticut residency, a Social Security card and a current driver’s license if you are applying to exchange one issued by another U.S. state.
For more information and details about how to obtain a real id driver’s license or identification card in Connecticut, call 860-263-5700 within the Hartford area or 800-840-8222 elsewhere in Connecticut or click here.
- A car slammed into a utility pole then took off, closing a Stamford road Tuesday for a few hours, police say.
- Police have identified a man who was struck by a car and killed on I-95 in Stratford.Police have identified a man who was struck by a car and killed on I-95 in Stratford.
- State police will step up patrols during the Thanksgiving holiday travel period across the state, officials say.State police will step up patrols during the Thanksgiving holiday travel period across the state, officials say.
- People are hitting the road to make it to their Thanksgiving destinations, but this year is one of the busiest for travelers.People are hitting the road to make it to their Thanksgiving destinations, but this year is one of the busiest for travelers.
- Gov. Ned Lamont and top Democrats decided Tuesday they are universally backing tolls for only heavy trucks -- not passenger cars.Gov. Ned Lamont and top Democrats decided Tuesday they are universally backing tolls for only heavy trucks -- not passenger cars.
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- A child was struck and killed by a car in a New Canaan driveway Tuesday, police say.A child was struck and killed by a car in a New Canaan driveway Tuesday, police say.
- Winter weather advisories will go into effect in Connecticut ahead of heavy snowfall that is expected to make for a treacherous morning commute, News 12 meteorologists say.
- Authorities in Jersey City have confirmed multiple people are dead, including a police officer, following a shooting today in Jersey City.
- Danbury Savings Bank has filed to foreclose on the New Canaan property Fotis Dulos was working on when his estranged wife, Jennifer Dulos, disappeared back in May.
- Red carpet arrivals at The Concert for The Rainforest Fund at the Beacon TheatreThe Rainforest Fund 30th anniversary benefit concert was held Monday at the Beacon Theatre in New York City.
- From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!
- The 87th annual Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree lighting ceremony was held Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2019 in New York.
- Do you have photos of the winter storm from the December 2019 storm? We want to see!Do you have photos of the winter storm from the December 2019 storm? We want to see!
- The Mohegan Sun Arena performer lineup includes live music, entertainment, top headlining concerts and premier sporting events in Connecticut.