19 displaced in Bridgeport apartment firePosted: Updated:
The cause of a fire at a Bridgeport apartment building that left 19 people homeless is electrical-related, investigators say.
The fire happened inside an apartment building at 430 Barnum Ave. on the east side of the city Thursday just after 8:30 p.m.
Authorities say the fire was electrical in nature, beginning in the basement and sending thick smoke throughout the building. The gas company and United Illuminating were called to the scene to shut off services to the building.
Nobody was injured, but some of the families say they're devastated by the turn of events and are now homeless in the cold weather.
City Councilwoman Jeanette Herron says she's worked with hundreds of families displaced by fires and it's never easy - especially as the weather turns cold.
"Nineteen people to be displaced in cold weather, not knowing where they're going to go tomorrow is not something we need in Bridgeport or anywhere," says Herron.
The American Red Cross is assisting in providing one night at a motel but does not extend coverage.
Herron says the City Council is working on an ordinance, drafted by Michelle Lyons, that would decrease the number of non-family members who can live in the same apartment. They're drafting it in hopes of reducing the chronic problem of overpopulated households, which can create a safety hazard.
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- A woman at a Weston bus stop had to fight off a rabid raccoon last week when it attacked her son.A woman at a Weston bus stop had to fight off a rabid raccoon last week when it attacked her son.
- UConn approved a tuition hike Wednesday, meaning students will pay 23% more over the next five years. It will begin with a $608 tuition increase next fall.
- For the last five years, the center has held a culinary class called "Hands on Baking" where seniors make strudel and cookies. And the center says they love it.
- Jennifer Dulos has been missing for more than six months, but people in New Canaan are showing that she is not forgotten this holiday season.
- Some Connecticut students got the day off Wednesday. But with the snow falling early in the morning, parents were left wondering if a snow day was really necessary.
- Red carpet arrivals at The Concert for The Rainforest Fund at the Beacon TheatreThe Rainforest Fund 30th anniversary benefit concert was held Monday at the Beacon Theatre in New York City.
- From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!
- December has already brought some snow to the tri-state area. Here's how the snow looked through your lens.
- The 87th annual Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree lighting ceremony was held Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2019 in New York.
- The Mohegan Sun Arena performer lineup includes live music, entertainment, top headlining concerts and premier sporting events in Connecticut.