Seniors, disabled residents trapped in apartments after fire knocks out elevator service

Posted: Updated:

Fire officials say a fire broke out at a 13-story home for seniors and people with disabilities in Bridgeport Saturday night.

The fire broke out around 7 p.m. in a trash chute on the sixth floor, sending smoke into the hallways and on the floors above and below.

Firefighters issued a shelter in place order, instead of an evacuation, because many tenants have a hard time getting around.

Seniors and disabled residents say they are stuck in their apartments because elevator service has been knocked out by the fire. City officials were monitoring the elevator situation.

Mayor Joe Ganim says he is partnering with the city's Housing Authority to ensure at least one elevator is back up and running by the end of the day.

Residents say they hope the problem gets fixed soon to help those stranded.

The fire department says it looks like no one will be displaced. The Red Cross was on hand to assist, but no one was injured.

 

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."