Lawsuit against gun-maker in Sandy Hook school shooting to move forward

Posted: Updated:

The Supreme Court announced Tuesday it will allow the lawsuit against the gun-maker in the Sandy Hook school shooting to move forward.

Remington Arms had been arguing that federal law shields manufacturers from most lawsuits. The justices declined to hear an appeal from Remington to get the case thrown out.

The order allows a survivor and relatives of nine victims who died at Sandy Hook Elementary in 2012 to pursue their claims.

The attorney for the Sandy Hook families says they're grateful the justices "denied Remington's latest attempt to avoid accountability."

Attorney Josh Koskoff said in a statement, "We are ready to resume discovery and proceed towards trial in order to shed light on Remington's profit-driven strategy to expand the AR-15 market and court high-risk users at the expense of Americans' safety."

Gov. Ned Lamont, Sen. Phil Murphy, Sen. Richard Blumethal and Rep. Jahana Hayes have applauded the Supreme Court's decision to not to hear the gun-maker's appeal.

Holly Sullivan says she is disappointed the justices did not dismiss the case. She is a board member for the Connecticut Citizens Defense League, a gun rights group.

"I think there were a lot of extenuating circumstances when it comes to the Newtown case that I don't feel Remington is responsible," said Sullivan.

The National Shooting Sports Foundation, based in Newtown, says the justices should have dismissed the lawsuit, but it remains confident Remington will prevail at trial.

The National Rifle Association was among those urging the court to jump into the case and end the lawsuit against Remington.

RELATED: CT Supreme Court rules in favor of Sandy Hook lawsuit against AR-15 style gun-maker

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."