Police: Homeless man targeted elderly woman killed in SeptemberPosted: Updated:
A homeless man in Stamford was arraigned Wednesday in connection with the killing of an elderly woman.
Stamford police say Robert Simmons killed 93-year-old Isabella Mehner in September at her home on Cove Road. Simmons is charged with murder, felony murder and home invasion.
Simmons was familiar with Mehner, according to police. The husband of Mehner's granddaughter told police Simmons worked for him off and on for four years at his sewer and drain company. As part of that, Simmons did jobs at Mehner's home.
Police responded to her home after a call about an elderly woman who appeared to have fallen down the stairs. Further investigation and an autopsy determined it was a homicide.
"There were some injuries to her face and head that just aren't consistent with a fall down the stairs," said Lt. Michael Noto. "It looks like someone assaulted her."
Police say surveillance video from neighborhood cameras show Simmons entering and leaving the house around the time of the crime. A DNA test proved a spot of blood on Simmons' pants was Mehner's.
Items were missing from the woman's home, according to police, including her wedding rings. Mehner's wallet, which was missing cash, was found near her body -- something her daughter told police was unusual.
"I think anytime you lose a 93-year old grandmother, matriarch of your family, it’s a hard thing to swallow around the holidays," Lt. Noto said. "So we're hoping this arrest today gives them a little bit of peace going through the holiday season."
Lt. Noto says Simmons is not cooperating.
Simmons has a lengthy criminal history including larceny, criminal trespass and drug convictions.
He is being held on $2 million bond.
- The family of a man found shot to death inside a blighted Bridgeport building is opening up about their tragic loss.
- Investigators returned to the house where an Ansonia mother was killed and her 1-year-old daughter was taken.Investigators returned to the house where an Ansonia mother was killed and her 1-year-old daughter was taken.
- An 18-year-old boy was fatally shot in Bridgeport, police say.An 18-year-old boy was fatally shot in Bridgeport, police say.
- Police say a man was shot multiple times in Bridgeport Sunday morning.Police say a man was shot multiple times in Bridgeport Sunday morning.
- A Norwalk police officer is charged with reckless endangerment after two high-powered guns were stolen from his car.A Norwalk police officer is charged with reckless endangerment after two high-powered guns were stolen from his car.
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- A funeral was held Thursday for two Watertown teens killed by their mother's boyfriend inside their home.
- The Connecticut Supreme Court heard an appeal of a gag order in the criminal case against the estranged husband of missing New Canaan mother Jennifer Dulos.
- Surveillance video out of Jersey City Tuesday shows two shooters, later identified as Francine Graham and David Anderson, coming out of a stolen U-Haul they parked across from JC Kosher Supermarket.
The fight to bring a teen back to his New Haven home reemerged Tuesday afternoon as Wilbur Cross High School students and staff rallied outside the Milford Courthouse.
- Red carpet arrivals at The Concert for The Rainforest Fund at the Beacon TheatreThe Rainforest Fund 30th anniversary benefit concert was held Monday at the Beacon Theatre in New York City.
- From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!
- December has already brought some snow to the tri-state area. Here's how the snow looked through your lens.
- The 87th annual Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree lighting ceremony was held Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2019 in New York.
- The Mohegan Sun Arena performer lineup includes live music, entertainment, top headlining concerts and premier sporting events in Connecticut.