Stamford charity gives 500 turkeys to families in needPosted: Updated:
With Thanksgiving just over a week away, local charities hope to ensure every family has something to eat.
New Covenant Center in Stamford handed out nearly 500 turkeys to people in need Wednesday at a rate of nearly one turkey per minute. Classic thanksgiving dishes, like potatoes and stuffing, were also given.
Folks had to preregister with the food pantry in order to pick up, with the requirement being living below the poverty line.
The turkeys are from the Connecticut Food Bank and the Food Bank of Lower Fairfield County.
"Very nice to have the Covenant House," said Charlie Clark. "So I can come and pick it up in case I don't have the money to buy."
Anyone struggling with food insecurity is encouraged to reach out to the New Covenant Center.
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- A funeral was held Thursday for two Watertown teens killed by their mother's boyfriend inside their home.
- The Connecticut Supreme Court heard an appeal of a gag order in the criminal case against the estranged husband of missing New Canaan mother Jennifer Dulos.
- Surveillance video out of Jersey City Tuesday shows two shooters, later identified as Francine Graham and David Anderson, coming out of a stolen U-Haul they parked across from JC Kosher Supermarket.
- The family of a man found shot to death inside a blighted Bridgeport building is opening up about their tragic loss.
The fight to bring a teen back to his New Haven home reemerged Tuesday afternoon as Wilbur Cross High School students and staff rallied outside the Milford Courthouse.
- Red carpet arrivals at The Concert for The Rainforest Fund at the Beacon TheatreThe Rainforest Fund 30th anniversary benefit concert was held Monday at the Beacon Theatre in New York City.
- From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!
- December has already brought some snow to the tri-state area. Here's how the snow looked through your lens.
- The 87th annual Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree lighting ceremony was held Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2019 in New York.
- The Mohegan Sun Arena performer lineup includes live music, entertainment, top headlining concerts and premier sporting events in Connecticut.