Stamford charity gives 500 turkeys to families in needPosted: Updated:
With Thanksgiving just over a week away, local charities hope to ensure every family has something to eat.
New Covenant Center in Stamford handed out nearly 500 turkeys to people in need Wednesday at a rate of nearly one turkey per minute. Classic thanksgiving dishes, like potatoes and stuffing, were also given.
Folks had to preregister with the food pantry in order to pick up, with the requirement being living below the poverty line.
The turkeys are from the Connecticut Food Bank and the Food Bank of Lower Fairfield County.
"Very nice to have the Covenant House," said Charlie Clark. "So I can come and pick it up in case I don't have the money to buy."
Anyone struggling with food insecurity is encouraged to reach out to the New Covenant Center.
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- An emergency bond hearing was held Wednesday without Fotis Dulos, but with his legal team.An emergency bond hearing was held Wednesday without Fotis Dulos, but with his legal team.
- The man charged with the murder of his estranged wife remains in a Bronx hospital after an apparent suicide attempt Tuesday.
- Police are expected to execute a search warrant Wednesday at the home of Fotis Dulos after he attempted to take his own life and was rushed to the hospital.
- Bridgeport Mayor Joe Ganim announced he is working to fast track a plan to decommission the crime-plagued Greene Homes city housing complex.
- Britain's departure from the EU was backed by European lawmakers Wednesday, after a debate that mixed warm words of love with hard-headed warnings to the country not to seek too many concessions during upcoming trade talks on a future relationship.
- Sights and scenes from the 2020 Grammy Awards.Sights and scenes from the 2020 Grammy Awards.
- Rain soaked the tri-state area over the weekend, but the skies cleared in time for News 12 viewers to snap some stunning shots of rainbows!
- Sights and Scenes from 2020 BroadwayCon in New York City.Sights and Scenes from 2020 BroadwayCon in New York City.
- Did you just get engaged? News 12 wants to celebrate with you!Did you just get engaged? News 12 wants to celebrate with you!
- A new viral illness being watched with a wary eye around the globe accelerated its spread in China on Sunday with 56 deaths so far.