2-alarm chimney fire displaces New Canaan couple

Posted: Updated:

A two-alarm chimney fire broke out inside a New Canaan home, displacing a couple, officials say.

The fire happened Sunday at 57 Strawberry Hill Road around 6:25 p.m.

The fire began inside the chimney and spread to the walls and attic inside the home, fire officials say.

Fire officials say the fire reached two-alarms and Wilton, Norwalk, Stamford, and Pound Ridge fire departments had to be called in to assist.

Officials say the fire was brought under control in about 15 minutes and could have been caused by a chimney malfunction which allowed embers to ignite.

No one was injured, but the home was deemed unlivable. The family made arrangements to stay with neighbors.

 

 

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."