Brief evacuation at Capitol over small planePosted: Updated:
WASHINGTON (AP) - The U.S. Capitol and its office buildings were briefly evacuated amid concerns about a small aircraft in the area. Officials say the plane violated airspace rules in the restricted area on Tuesday.
The evacuations were ordered as a precaution and lasted about half an hour.The U.S. Secret Service says personnel at the White House were told to remain in place.
Capitol Police sent a notification of a potential threat shortly after 8:30 a.m., and the evacuations were ordered. People were allowed back in after about 30 minutes.
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- A fleet of rental trucks is out of service in Bridgeport after professional thieves targeted a local business.
- Firefighters from across the state are joining the town of Orange in remembering the community's longtime fire marshal.
- Wesleyan University in Middletown is monitoring a student who may have the coronavirus after a recent trip to Asia.
- State police say the trooper accused of shooting and killing a carjacking suspect will serve desk duty while authorities investigate.
- Did you snap a photo of a rainbow when the skies cleared on Jan. 25? We want to see!Did you snap a photo of a rainbow when the skies cleared on Jan. 25? We want to see!
- Sights and Scenes from 2020 BroadwayCon in New York City.Sights and Scenes from 2020 BroadwayCon in New York City.
- Did you just get engaged? News 12 wants to celebrate with you!Did you just get engaged? News 12 wants to celebrate with you!
- Chinese health authorities urged people in the city of Wuhan to avoid crowds and public gatherings.Chinese health authorities urged people in the city of Wuhan to avoid crowds and public gatherings.
- Sights and scenes from the 2020 SAG AwardsSights and scenes from the 2020 SAG Awards