‘Baby Shark’ creators plan Navajo version of popular videoPosted: Updated:
By RUSSELL CONTRERAS
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) - Creators of the popular video “Baby Shark,” whose “doo doo doo” song was played at the World Series in October and has been a viral hit with toddlers around the world, are developing a version in Navajo.
Pinkfong, a brand of the South Korea company SmartStudy, announced last week it is working with the Navajo Nation Museum in Window Rock, Arizona, to create a new version of the widely popular tune about a family of sharks.
The project was launched after museum director Manuelito Wheeler reached out to SmartStudy in September about translating “Baby Shark” into Navajo. The museum previously had lobbied for Navajo versions of the movies “Star Wars” and “Finding Nemo” that were eventually made.
“I was surprised by their enthusiasm and excitement about getting this started,” Wheeler said Tuesday. “We have been looking for something aimed at preschoolers.”
SmartStudy has translated the “Baby Shark” tune of the viral video in 19 languages, including English, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, German, Arabic, and Bahasa-Malay.
The company hopes its latest project will spark interest in the Navajo language among the tribe’s young generation, SmartStudy marketing manager Kevin Yoon said in an email.
“We’re happy to play a role in raising awareness of and preserving a language that’s in danger of vanishing through what we do best - creating fun, stimulating content to provide entertaining learning experiences to children worldwide,” Yoon said.
The Navajo Nation is the largest Native American reservation in the U.S. The Navajo word for shark is lóó hashkéhé, which translates to “angry fish.”
The company is seeking voice actors to portray the roles of Baby Shark, Mommy Shark, Daddy Shark, Grandma Shark, and Grandpa Shark.
The original “ Baby Shark Dance ” video has garnered more than 4 billion views on YouTube.
“Baby Shark” has been around for a few years, but took the world by storm last year when the song and video went viral with the nursery-school set, with little kids imitating the handclapping dance that went along with the video.
Books, plush toys, and other merchandise inspired by the song became hot-ticket items for the holidays and the “Baby Shark” tour was soon hatched.
A second North American leg of the “Baby Shark” concert tour is launching in March.
During the World Series, Washington Nationals fans adopted “Baby Shark” as the team’s rally song.
Nickelodeon has a “Baby Shark” cartoon series in the works.
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- A mother and infant were pronounced dead after authorities responded to a home in Jersey City early Saturday morning.A mother and infant were pronounced dead after authorities responded to a home in Jersey City early Saturday morning.
- A two-alarm fire destroyed a home in Irvington Saturday morning, fire officials say.A two-alarm fire destroyed a home in Irvington Saturday morning, fire officials say.
- Meet two teens who are pitching in to help animals affected by the Australian wildfires.Meet two teens who are pitching in to help animals affected by the Australian wildfires.
- Two women were killed in a crash early Saturday morning in Newark, officials say.Two women were killed in a crash early Saturday morning in Newark, officials say.
- A father and son are heading to prison after pleading guilty to defrauding investors out of millions of dollars.A father and son are heading to prison after pleading guilty to defrauding investors out of millions of dollars.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Did you snap a photo of a rainbow when the skies cleared on Jan. 25? We want to see!Did you snap a photo of a rainbow when the skies cleared on Jan. 25? We want to see!
- Sights and Scenes from 2020 BroadwayCon in New York City.Sights and Scenes from 2020 BroadwayCon in New York City.
- Chinese health authorities urged people in the city of Wuhan to avoid crowds and public gatherings.Chinese health authorities urged people in the city of Wuhan to avoid crowds and public gatherings.
- Sights and scenes from the 2020 SAG AwardsSights and scenes from the 2020 SAG Awards
- Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.