Snow and ice to make for a slippery travel Monday nightPosted: Updated:
Snow and ice are expected to make for slippery travel Monday night. The National Weather Service has issued a winter weather advisory for all of Connecticut.
News 12 meteorologists say snow will develop early Monday night after 10 p.m. As temperatures slowly begin to rise, sleet or freezing rain will begin to mix in by 2-3 a.m. south of the Merritt Parkway. Areas to the north will remain snow a few hours longer.
1-3 inches of snow is possible overnight. The highest totals are likely north of the Merritt. Locally higher amounts are possible for Litchfield County.
Sleet or freezing rain will make for hazardous travel, and roads may quickly become slippery. Drivers should be alert for changing weather conditions. Power outages are also possible as a result of ice and snow accumulation.
The sleet or freezing rain may continue well into Tuesday morning for areas north of the Merritt. Otherwise, the day will see a cold rain with highs only around 40 degrees.
Sunshine returns on Wednesday but it will be windy and cold with highs in the 30s. Some flurries are possible Wednesday afternoon.
Stay with News 12 for the latest forecast information, and download the News 12 app for weather updates on the go.
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- A 14-year-old boy was thrown from a truck during a crash in Stamford, police say.A 14-year-old boy was thrown from a truck during a crash in Stamford, police say.
- This week, Chef Jes Bengtson shows Tina Redwine how to make savory Italian-themed dishes.This week, Chef Jes Bengtson shows Tina Redwine how to make savory Italian-themed dishes.
- Happy National Tortilla Chip Day!Happy National Tortilla Chip Day!
- A Stratford school board member accused of sexually assaulting a teen says he will not resign.A Stratford school board member accused of sexually assaulting a teen says he will not resign.
- Ice hockey is one of the most physically demanding sports, but a trailblazing league is expanding the game for visually impaired players.
- The toy fair runs at the Jacob Javits Center from Feb. 22 through 25.The toy fair runs at the Jacob Javits Center from Feb. 22 through 25.
- Send us photos of all of the pets you love!Send us photos of all of the pets you love!
- Baseball season is right around the corner, and the Mets have reported to their spring training facility. Take a look at some of the sights from Port St. Lucie, Florida.
- The Yankees have a World Series title on their mind in 2020, but it all begins with spring training. Take a look at some of the sights from Tampa, Florida.
- The NASCAR Daytona 500 auto race took place at Daytona International Speedway Feb. 17, in Daytona Beach, Fla.