Bridgeport Mayor Ganim calls for task force to fight gun violencePosted: Updated:
Bridgeport Mayor Joe Ganim has announced that he is creating a special task force to fight gun violence.
With three homicides already reported in Bridgeport in 2020, Ganim says the city will welcome input from the public.
He says in addition to calling for common-sense gun laws, the initiative will educate young people.
"The scourge of gun violence--as mayors across the country have shared with me and I've shared with them--has got to stop," Ganim says. "We've got to figure out better ways to deal with the challenges in our cities of gun violence."
Ganim says suicide prevention will be a focus of the task force since 6 in 10 gun deaths in the country are from suicide.
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- The Department of Public Health says that 44 residents at Golden Hill Rehab Pavilion on Bridgeport Avenue tested positive.
- State officials say it's important for consumers to know their rights as they scramble to cancel their travel plans because of the pandemic.
- More people in Connecticut are grieving in the face of the coronavirus pandemic.More people in Connecticut are grieving in the face of the coronavirus pandemic.
- Officers say this is the city's fifth homicide of the year.Officers say this is the city's fifth homicide of the year.
- While OEC Brewing's beers are still available for curbside pickup, the taproom closed and was changed into a makeshift pantry.
- The 1,000-bed hospital ship will help ease the burden on local hospitals amid the coronavirus outbreak.
- From doctors and nurses to firefighters and police officers. From grocery store workers to news media and beyond. There are many who work hard to keep things running, keep us informed and keep us safe.
- Whatever the reason is, News 12 wants to see photos of what you're doing to keep busy during the coronavirus pandemic.
- There are no rainbows without rain, right? Well, one might say it's been pouring lately. But a strong and growing group on Long Island is spreading color and positivity with a rainbow movement.
- As people work from home and avoid large gatherings, areas that are normally packed with people have suddenly become nearly vacant.