News12 New York
N12 Originals
Numbers & Links
Local
Crime
Weather
Politics
78°
Local
Crime
Weather
Politics

Exclusive: At least 4 Connecticut churches involved in potential string of incidents

One church in Fairfield and another in Bridgeport were potentially vandalized, while service at two others in Fairfield was disrupted

Greg Thompson

Aug 17, 2026, 4:21 PM

Updated

Share:

More Stories

At least four different churches in Connecticut were involved in incidents last week, a string that may potentially be linked.

That includes St. Anthony in Fairfield, where people found the head of a St. Therese statue on the ground next to it the morning of Aug. 9.

"A lot of levels, it was a little disturbing," said Dave Ball, a parishioner who lives across the street. "I was a little offended."

While staff members at the church originally thought it might have been hit by lightning, they tell News 12 off camera that because of how clean the break is, and the fact that it went through a support pole, they now think it is more likely somebody sawed it off.

"I was concerned that this was a kind of attack on Catholicism, as opposed to random vandalism," Ball said.

St. Anthony did not reach out to Fairfield police until Thursday, when staff members learned this might not have been an isolated incident.

Multiple sources tell News 12 a man also smashed candles last week at St. Margaret Shrine in Bridgeport, then disrupted service at two different churches back in Fairfield, including Saint Thomas Aquinas - talking to himself loudly and drinking the holy water.

"I hope the poor guy is apprehended, and gets some attention," said Ball.

Fairfield police say after responding to calls at the two churches, they identified the man as 66-year-old Joseph Forte, from Bridgeport.

When officers located him on Friday and asked him to stay away from the churches, police say he became combative, and they arrested him.

According to a source, Fairfield police are investigating his case as a potential mental health issue.

"In a weird way, it's almost a relief because who in their right mind - a sane person, would attack a religious icon like that?" asked Ball.

Police have not confirmed that Forte is connected to what happened at St. Anthony, saying they are still investigating that incident.

"There is a degree of forgiveness after you get past the initial shock," said Ball. "(In the Bible,) you're supposed to turn the other cheek, and not carry things forward."

A spokesperson for the Diocese of Bridgeport tells News 12 that they are praying for Forte.

More Stories

More From News12

App StoreGoogle Play Store

info

Newsletter

Send Photos/Videos

Contact

About Us

News Team

News 12 New York

follow us

Twitter

Facebook

Instagram

more resources

Optimum Corporate

Optimum Service

Advertise on News 12

Careers

Content Removal Policy

© 2026 N12N, LLC

Privacy Policy

Terms of Service

Ad Choices