Widespread technology outage disrupts flights, banks, media outlets and firms across Connecticut.

Southport bistro's liquor permit suspended indefinitely following weekend shooting

The Department of Consumer Protection says it issued a "summary suspension" because of a referral from the Fairfield Police Department.

News 12 Staff

Jun 22, 2022, 4:14 PM

Updated 757 days ago


Wafu Asian Bistro's liquor permit has been suspended indefinitely following a shooting at the Southport restaurant over the weekend.
The state Department of Consumer Protection says it issued a "summary suspension" of the liquor permit because of a referral from the Fairfield Police Department.
In a letter to the Consumer Protection Commissioner, Police Chief Robert Kalamaras detailed the shooting that happened early Sunday morning.
Police say it appears the restaurant converted into a nightclub after hours.
In the letter, Kalamaras also described several other incidents that police responded to in recent months. Kalamaras said those incidents included a person in a car bleeding from the mouth, college night events at which minors were served alcohol, and an incident where a bouncer pepper-sprayed patrons, which police determined was unjustified.
In the letter, Kalamaras went on to say, "Regardless of our enforcement and our investigative efforts to address the quality of life issues that the Wafu Asian Bistro has created, they have failed to take steps to comply with Connecticut state liquor laws. Evidenced by violations in succession within a six-month timeframe for serving alcohol to minors. The business owners' failure to comply with laws and regulations has resulted in a shooting and serious physical injury to a patron, which could have resulted in a homicide. This agency is respectfully requesting a summary suspension of the Wafu Asian Bistro liquor permit to allow for a complete review of all reports and complaints related to this business."
Fairfield Health Department officials say Wafu Asian Bistro still has its food license, but the food license is currently under review as the Health Department is currently investigating the business.
The business has been closed since the shooting. A sign posted on the door says it's closed Monday through Wednesday for maintenance.
Meantime, the shooting suspect remains at large.
Police say the victim, who was released from the hospital, is not cooperating with the investigation.
Police are asking anyone with information to come forward.
News 12 Connecticut reached out to Wafu Asian Bistro and the property owner for comment but has not heard back.

More from News 12