Bratton: Suspects in gang raids won't make bail
NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton took a moment to tout Wednesday's massive gang takedown during a speech on counterterrorism.
"I think most of those people are not going to get out on bail, which will prevent them from going back into these communities," Bratton said. "That's not going to end the violence -- just yesterday there were two shootings in the Bronx -- but it will certainly mitigate it in a positive way."
As News 12 has previously reported, 120 alleged gang members were indicted in the raids.
They face a slew of charges ranging from racketeering to narcotics and weapons offenses.
Officials say the indictments "completely dismantled" two street gangs responsible for a large amount of violence in Soundview and other areas. They say the raids immediately made the Bronx much safer, especially in NYCHA housing complexes where the gangs allegedly operated.
However, police say about a quarter of the 120 indicted suspects remain at large. Officials say 88 suspects were arrested during the raids, 30 remain at large, and two are already in custody on other charges but haven't been re-arrested in connection with yesterday's charges.
Christian Claudio, a former member of the Latin Kings gang, says the raids amounted to "a quick fix," and the alleged gang members will continue to organize in prison.
He says that while the arrests appear to be an improvement for the people who lived near the alleged gang members, the suspects could become even more deeply involved in gang life within Rikers Island.
Claudio says he hopes the massive takedown will lead to conversation at City Hall about establishing mentorships and other programs to keep kids living in NYCHA houses away from intimidation from gang members so close to home.