Fatal Christmas Day fire ruled accidental

The Christmas Day fire that left five people dead in Stamford was an accident sparked by embers from a fireplace, officials announced today.

The fire happened at Madonna Badger's home on Shippan Avenue at around 5 a.m. and left her parents, Lomer and Pauline Johnson, and her three daughters, 10-year-old Lily and 7-year-old twins Grace and Sarah, dead.

Badger and another adult escaped the fatal fire.

Investigators say it appears that Lomer Johnson died trying to save one of his granddaughters from the fire.

Officials say that they aren't sure that smoke detectors were working in the home at the time of the fire.

According to officials, the firefighters who worked on recovering the bodies are receiving counseling to help them cope with the horrors they have dealt with.VIDEO: News conference on fatal Christmas Day fireStamford house torn down after 5 die in fire911 calls from Shippan Ave fire

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."