Fire damages home in Fairfield

There is lots of damage to repair after firefighters ripped open the roof on a Fairfield home when sparks from a chimney set it on fire.

The fire was reported at Congress Street about 7:20 p.m. Saturday night.

Firefighters say the homeowners saw embers from the chimney land on a second-floor porch and tried to pour water on them.

However, firefighters say the roof was already on fire when they arrived.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."