5-year-old accidentally screws steel nut onto finger

A 5-year-old boy accidentally screwed a steel nut onto his finger and needed the assistance of the Stamford Fire Department to get it off.



Officials say the boy accidentally screwed a 3/8 steel nut onto his index finger and past his knuckle with a power tool. 



Officials say the boy was in serious pain and had to be taken to Stamford Hospital Sunday afternoon. 



Stamford Fire Department Deputy Chief Eric Lorenz says doctors at Stamford Hospital tried to remove the screw, but swelling became such an issue that they called on the fire department for help.



"When the adults looked at it and they saw how far the child had gotten the nut up above the knuckle, they knew it was pretty serious," he says.



Lorenz says Stamford firefighters responded and were able to cut the nut using a guard to protect the child's finger. They then pried the nut apart to remove it.



He says the boy has been released from the hospital.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."