Family safe after high levels of CO found in home

Easton police say a family is safe Wednesday after officials responded to dangerously high levels of carbon monoxide in their home.



Police say the fire department received an activated carbon monoxide alarm from the residents on North Park Avenue Monday night. They discovered the gas was coming from the basement.



Two people from the home were taken to St. Vincent's Medical Center in Bridgeport for precautionary reasons, and were treated and released.



Officials say the fire marshal determined the source of the problem was Acetylene gas coming from a welding tank in the basement.



They say they do not know what the tank was being used for, but they recommend being cautious in these situations.



"I would make sure your house is properly ventilated if you're working with chemicals in your house and to make sure you have a proper alarm that can detect any sort of issues with high levels of CO," says Sgt. Willian Spencer, of the Easton Police Department.



Police suggest residents contact their local fire department for more information on the dangers of carbon monoxide.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."