Chemical spill in Greenwich class prompts evacuation

A chemical spill in a Greenwich science class prompted an evacuation Friday.

Greenwich fire officials say around 10 a.m. a jar containing a deer fetus cracked at Western Junior High School. About two quarts of formaldehyde spilled onto the floor of the classroom.

Firefighters say some students and a janitor were exposed to fumes from the irritant chemical, which can cause a burning sensation in the eyes and throat and nausea. No one was injured from the spill.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."