Stratford fire leaves 2 families homeless

A fire in a Stratford apartment building Saturday morning has left two families homeless.

About a dozen residents were forced onto the street around 9 a.m. when their building?s fire alarms went off. Before leaving her apartment, one resident took her video camera to capture the footage.

?First they were breaking windows and then there was smoke coming out,? said Raven Richburg. ?The firefighters were running up the ladder to go into the building and try to help people come out.?

It took firemen about 15 minutes to extinguish the fire, officials say. No one was seriously injured in the fire, and all but two families were allowed to return to their apartments. The Red Cross is helping the families whose apartments were completely destroyed.

While they haven?t been able to determine the exact cause of the fire, officials know that it started in between the walls of two apartments.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."