Weston close call serves as reminder for CO detectors

A close call for a Weston family Thursday serves as a reminder for residents to properly maintain their heating system.

The Simons in Weston were alerted after the carbon monoxide detector went off in their home around 3 a.m. Thursday. They had their detector in the basement right next to the oil burner. It was also hooked up to the alarm system, which alerted the fire department. The Simons had to stay outside for about an hour as firefighters aired out the house on Cedars Hill. The culprit was a clogged valve in the home?s oil burner.

Furnace companies advise residents to clean their oil or gas burners and chimneys at least once a year because soot can easily build up in the furnace. When that occurs, the fumes don?t go up the chimney, but instead stay inside the house, which could prove deadly.

Most importantly, experts say it is imperative that residents have a carbon monoxide detector in the home to alert them to the deadly gas.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."