Officials: Carbon monoxide detectors a must for winter

Southwestern Connecticut residents are being advised to safeguard their homes against carbon monoxide this winter.

A new study says January has the highest number of carbon monoxide poisoning deaths. The deadly gas is created by the incomplete combustion of fuel. Residents are advised to install detectors for the gas, since carbon monoxide is odorless and tasteless.

Approximately 500 people die in the United States each year, according to the Centers for Disease Control.

"It's needs to be something that people take as important as smoke detectors," warns Kepchar.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."