Reward stirs up leads in case of George Smith, of Greenwich, who disappeared in 2005

The family of a Greenwich man who disappeared from a cruise ship nine years ago said that they have gotten a few leads thanks to a recently announced reward.



The family of George Smith announced a $100,000 reward last week for information leading to an arrest and conviction in the case.



Smith was on his honeymoon on a Royal Caribbean cruise ship when he went missing on July 5, 2005. Authorities believe he fell from a balcony into the Aegean Sea, but his family's lawyer says the family believes Smith was murdered.



The family hopes the reward will encourage someone to speak up. They also launched a Facebook page to share information and to keep people talking about George.



The Smith's attorney Michael Jones says the FBI recently assigned new agents to the case in Connecticut, and agents in New York are also working on it.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."