News

Bridgeport police shooting survivor details encounter

Posted: Updated:
BRIDGEPORT -

A Bridgeport man wounded in a police-involved shooting last week that killed a teenager says the encounter came close to claiming his life.

Julian Fyffe lives on the 1400 block of Iranistan Avenue. The 21-year-old tells News 12 Connecticut he was grateful to learn that a bullet that struck him in the chest actually missed his heart. Another bullet hit him in the arm.

Fyffe, wearing a bandage on his arm, says he has no idea how the events of what was supposed to be a simple afternoon of practicing music with a friend turned tragic. Fyffe had just finished working at his full-time job when Jayson Negron, 15, picked him up from his home to go record music at a studio they use on Wood Avenue. Police have said the car Negron was driving was stolen.

Authorities say Negron failed to stop and backed into at least one officer, using the car as a deadly weapon. Fyffe described the moments immediately after they both were shot by police.

"He was like, get out the car," says Fyffe. "I'm just like, I can't do anything, I don't have energy to hold my hands up no more, or even try to get the door to open, so I'm just holding my chest. The officer opens the door, it's unlocked I guess, he opens the door and grabs me up and slams me out the car and they put handcuffs on me."

Police initially said Negron was dead, but Fyffe says video evidence and witness accounts say the teen was in fact still alive.

According to police, the shootings were justifiable, while Fyffe says he believes the officers' actions were excessive. Connecticut State Police have taken over the investigation.

News 12 has recently updated to a brand new version of our iOS and Android apps.  If you don't have auto updates enabled on your devices, head to the App Store or Google Play Store to update to the latest version.  This will ensure you keep getting up-to-date local news, traffic and weather information.

  • Connecticut SlideshowsSlideshowsMore>>

  • Your Connecticut 2017 Halloween Costumes

    Your Connecticut 2017 Halloween Costumes

    Monday, October 23 2017 11:35 AM EDT2017-10-23 15:35:50 GMT
    News 12 wants to see your Halloween costumes!News 12 wants to see your Halloween costumes!

    Will you be scary or fun this Halloween? Either way, News 12 wants to see your costumes for 2017. Send them using the hashtag #CTHalloween on Twitter or Instagram and you may see your photos on News12.com or on air!

    Will you be scary or fun this Halloween? Either way, News 12 wants to see your costumes for 2017. Send them using the hashtag #CTHalloween on Twitter or Instagram and you may see your photos on News12.com or on air!

  • US-Mexico border wall prototypes

    US-Mexico border wall prototypes

    Eight prototypes of President Donald Trump's US-Mexico border wall are being built near San Diego, CA.Eight prototypes of President Donald Trump's US-Mexico border wall are being built near San Diego, CA.

    Eight prototypes of President Donald Trump's US-Mexico border wall are being built near San Diego, CA. 

    Eight prototypes of President Donald Trump's US-Mexico border wall are being built near San Diego, CA. 

  • Forces comb ghost city Raqqa after IS ouster

    Forces comb ghost city Raqqa after IS ouster

    A member of the Syrian Democratic Forces stands at a position overlooking the iconic Al-Naim square in Raqa on October 18, 2017.A member of the Syrian Democratic Forces stands at a position overlooking the iconic Al-Naim square in Raqa on October 18, 2017.

    The Syrian Democratic Forces flushed jihadist holdouts from Raqqa's main hospital and municipal stadium, wrapping up a more than four-month offensive against what used to be the inner sanctum of Islamic State group's self-proclaimed 'caliphate'.

    The Syrian Democratic Forces flushed jihadist holdouts from Raqqa's main hospital and municipal stadium, wrapping up a more than four-month offensive against what used to be the inner sanctum of Islamic State group's self-proclaimed 'caliphate'.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."