News

Father of Bridgeport police shooting victim speaks out

Posted: Updated:
BRIDGEPORT -

The father of the Bridgeport teen fatally shot by police last week is speaking publicly through his attorney for the first time about the deadly encounter.

The father spoke at his lawyer’s office at the Bridgeport Legal Center on Broad Street.

Juan Negron says his life changed forever last Tuesday when his 15-year-old son Jayson was fatally shot by police.

Negron spoke through his attorney, Michael J. Rosnick, who said Negron is speaking out in the pursuit of justice, and no lawsuit has been filed.

In a statement, Rosnick said, “On May 9, Jayson was shot, handcuffed, placed face-first on the ground and was left unattended for approximately six hours. During that time, Jayson died."

Rosnick continued, “The family is expecting that the rule of law and justice will prevail, that the state of Connecticut will conduct a fair and impartial investigation."

As News 12 Connecticut has reported, police initially said an officer fatally shot Jayson after he had failed to stop the stolen car he was driving, and then backed up into at least one officer.

“It appears that the initial factual allegations from the city of Bridgeport, and on social media, were false,” says Rosnick. “It appears that the vehicle was not stolen, there was never a police car chase, and no officer's life was ever in danger to warrant the use of deadly force on a child nonetheless.

Police say the shooting of Jayson and his passenger, Julian Fyffe, was justified.

Attorneys, however, have filed a $6 million lawsuit against the police department on behalf of the passenger.

Connecticut State Police have taken over the investigation. Rosnick says he will conduct an independent investigation.

News 12 has recently updated to a brand new version of our iOS and Android apps.  If you don't have auto updates enabled on your devices, head to the App Store or Google Play Store to update to the latest version.  This will ensure you keep getting up-to-date local news, traffic and weather information.

sorry to interrupt
your first 5 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 5 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."