News

Man found guilty of burning children's hands on stove

Posted: Updated:
NEW HAVEN -

(AP) - A Connecticut man has been convicted of assault and other charges for punishing two children by holding their hands over a stove's open flame.

The victims testified that 31-year-old Michael Torres became angry after one of them opened a window in a New Haven apartment in August 2015.

A doctor says a 4-year-old girl suffered fifth-degree burns, but an 8-year-old girl avoided serious injury by struggling from Torres' grasp.

Torres testified the children burned themselves accidentally.

His lawyer says he was disappointed with the verdict handed down Wednesday and plans to appeal.

Torres' girlfriend, who was at home at the time of the burnings, previously pleaded guilty to risk of injury to a minor.

Sentencing is scheduled for Sept. 29.

  • Connecticut SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>

  • 24th annual Critics' Choice Awards

    24th annual Critics' Choice Awards

    "Roma" was the top winner at the Critics' Choice Awards, winning best picture, foreign language film and a pair of individual honors for director Alfonso Cuaron.
    "Roma" was the top winner at the Critics' Choice Awards, winning best picture, foreign language film and a pair of individual honors for director Alfonso Cuaron.
  • Your Photos: National Dress Up Your Pet Day

    Your Photos: National Dress Up Your Pet Day

    Got a snapshot of Sparky in a suit or Fido in a fedora? We want to see!
    Got a snapshot of Sparky in a suit or Fido in a fedora? We want to see!
  • VIEW: Old Tappan Zee Bridge gets demolished with explosives

    VIEW: Old Tappan Zee Bridge gets demolished with explosives

    Tuesday, January 15 2019 11:47 AM EST2019-01-15 16:47:07 GMT

    The remains of the old eastbound Tappan Zee Bridge were demolished with explosive charges Tuesday, Jan. 15.

    The remains of the old eastbound Tappan Zee Bridge were demolished with explosive charges Tuesday, Jan. 15.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."